Consider the Standard of Ur and the Victory Stele of Naram-Sin.
1. Each of these artworks is composed using a “hierarchical” visual strategy which shows the ways that society was organized at that time.
2. Describe each artwork, its size and what it is made of, and which culture made each artwork.
3. Describe the hierarchical social systems shown in both artworks. Who is higher up in the hierarchy? Who is lower?
4. Describe the visual/formal/compositional devices that let the viewer know who is higher up in this society and who is lower.
5. Now that you’ve studied the artworks, give an example from contemporary society of a VISUAL work (artwork, advertisement etc.) which shows a hierarchical order in contemporary society. Describe the visual/formal/compositional devices that let the viewer know who is higher up in this depiction of society and who is lower.
a system or organization in which people or groups are ranked one above the other according to status or authority.
“the initiative was with those lower down in the hierarchy”
the upper echelons of a hierarchical system; those in authority.
noun: the hierarchy
“the magazine was read quite widely even by some of the hierarchy”
Consider the Parthenon and Chartres Cathedral. Both are magnificent examples of architecture.
1. How did each of these structures reflect the social organization (social hierarchy) and religious practices of the society who built them?
2. Which society built each building? In which style is each built?
3. What special meaning did each have to its society?
4. Use specific examples of artworks from each site.
5. Compare and contrast the content and style of each building.
6. Now that you’ve studied these buildings, select an architectural work (any building with some kind of public function) which reflects the social organization (or religious practices) of the society who built it. Describe one visual/formal/compositional device on the building that demonstrates that social organization. Consider choosing a particular favorite building of your own or a building you use or are familiar with.
please use the information in the video references and pdf file to write the essay rather than doing outside research. Thanks,