For this essay, you will choose a controversial article from a newspaper to analyze. Use the information from the modules to format your essay and paragraphs.
You may use an American newspaper or a newspaper from abroad.
Some questions to consider:
· How is the argument presented?
· What techniques are used to convince the reader?
· Is the argument based on Logos, Pathos or Ethos? Does it use a combination of all three?
· Are logical fallacies used?
· What judgement can you make about the newspaper and audience by the techniques that are used? Are views liberal or conservative? Demographics?
Process and guidelines:
· Read the article you have chosen carefully.
· Think about the topic and create a working thesis. Your thesis statement should be the last sentence of the introduction.
· Plan your body paragraphs by making an outline and deciding which examples/explanation you will use in each paragraph to support your topic sentences. Be sure to take examples from throughout the article.
· Be sure each paragraph has a clear topic sentence. Use PEAR (See module on paragraph structure).
· Plan your introduction and conclusion. Remember that beginnings and endings are very important.
· DO NOT SUMMARIZE the article. Analyze the article instead.
· Your essay should be 3-4 double spaced pages, roughly 500-750 words (use MLA format).
· Explain your ideas clearly; write well developed paragraphs; organize your ideas logically. Be sure to cover the requirements of the assignment.
· Reread your essay and edit carefully to make sure that you have used conventional mechanics spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
· Give your paper a creative title.
· Be sure to correctly cite the article you have chose in your Works Cited page.